My Therapy Practice

I’m a qualified therapeutic counsellor, registered and accredited with BACP, and I’ve been working with people suffering from emotional distress and mental illness since 2001…

Richard Kershaw MA MBACP

Richard Kershaw MA Reg. MBACP (Accred)

I began my counsellor training at York St. John where the emphasis was on Person-Centred Counselling. After this I decided to focus on Transactional Analysis (TA) and trained at Leeds Psychotherapy Training Institute before continuing at The Ellesmere Centre in Hull.

Both TA and the Person Centred Approach recognise the fundamental ‘humanness’ in each of us and know that we’re all able to change and grow through difficulties by looking within. So I’m comfortable with integrating these two approaches.

My Person-Centred style offers an experience of being fully ‘met’, attuned-to and ‘walked beside’ as you experience your current difficulties. TA may feel more cognitive, and I’m happy to share TA models with you if we agree that would be useful.

My professional membership organisation is BACP and I am bound by their ethical framework – Click on the logo below to find out more about BACP;

Link to BACP website

Within BACP I am a Registered and Accredited Member. The BACP Register is accredited by The Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care and sets the benchmark for the practice of counselling in the UK. To link through to the BACP Register pages click on my logo below;


It is a professional duty of all practising counsellors that we attend regular clinical supervision and ongoing training (Continuing Professional Development). I’m increasingly interested in how how bodies mirror & reflect our external relational processes – and how our intentions (in awareness or not) co-create, through our bodies, the relational  ‘Field’ which appears in the counselling room.